Friday 20 May 2011

Unit 4 Presentation .... Ria :)

Unit 4  - Non Omnis Moriar


Research:

0        Devising techniques          
0        The Collaborative process
0        Forced Entertainment
0        View points training
0        How memory works
0        Different types of memory. E.g. long term, short term, flashbulb, collective..
0        What is memory?
0        Suzanne Corkin
0        The story of Henry Moliason
0        Script writing
0        Blog/Facebook
0        The hippocampus
0        Synapsis
0        Mnemonics
0        Attended a production meeting on the 06/04/11

In this presentation I  am going to focus on….
My research into the story of H.M
0       How in depth was it?
0       Where and how did I source it?
0       What did I see/read that most influenced me?
Viewpoints (Article and lessons)
0       What have I gained from my viewpoints training?
0       How did the reading and the sessions benefit my research into my character?
The Blog
0       How did the Blog influence my practice?
0       How did it inform the groups practice?
0       Was it useful?
0       Did it work how we wanted it to work?
0       How could it have been used more effectively?

Research into the story of H.M.



0       When we were first given the topic of memory, I struggled with the research as it is such a big subject..
0       Science / Brain
0       When we were given the story of H.M, I then found it easier to research.
0       WHY??
0       Because I was really interested in the story. This made it easier for me to research, as I was researching because I wanted to find out more, not because we were told to.
0       I feel my research was quite in depth as once I read H.Ms story, I would do more research into other aspects of the story that interested me.
0       For Example Brenda and Suzannes relationship.
0       Not a lot of information about them in the Esquire article.

Research into the Story of H.M.
Where did the research come from?
0       Newspaper articles online
0       T.V show BBC 4 The Brain - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t6zqv
0       Radio interviews with Suzanne Corkin
0       Radio interviews which included audio footage of H.M. Speaking to Suzanne
0       Articles from the M.I.T website written about H.M and his progress by Suzanne Corkin  - http://web.mit.edu/bnl/publications.htm
0       Emails from Suzanne
0       YouTube clips - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCTw1MZ-uF8      
0       Internet Websites about H.M
0       The Brain Observatory website Slicing of the brain.
0       Video clips from CBS.

Research into the story of H.M
How was the research sourced?
0       From links that were posted on the Blog
0       Links on other websites directing you to specific information
0       Information in Radio interviews that linked to web pages and science blog.
0       Emails from Suzanne Corkin.... How did I get her email?
0       She replied to my emailed which had links to articles that she wrote about H.M., Which included tests and tables to show his improvements
0       She also sent me a word document which she had typed explaining about the Changeover from Brenda to Suzanne and how it happened.
0       This helped inform my research because it gave me a better idea about the relationship between Brenda and Suzanne, and between Suzanne and Henry.

Viewpoints Training
What have I gained from my viewpoints training?
0       I felt like I gained a lot from the viewpoints lesson and from reading the article. 
0       I understood the article, and could identify with most of the viewpoints.
0       It helps me to identify with how my character would act if she were nervous 
0       In the video clip I am about to play, Suzanne is about to meet Henry for the first time so she is feeling nervous.
0       Lets watch the video clip……..

Viewpoints Training
 (Video Not Available )

Blog!!!
http://memoryplay.blogspot.com/
How did the blog inform the groups practice?
0       Kept the group up to date on developments that had been happening during the lessons
0       If someone was absent, they were able to see what stage we were at by viewing the blog updates.
0       Put our research, script ideas, character ideas on the blog so that the rest of the group could see our developments.
0       Communication
0       Pictures and videos we could refer back to them
0       Ideas - Questions
0       It also helped inform other disciplines of where we were in the rehearsal process.

Was it useful and how could it have been used more effectively?
0       More people using the blog
0       More people updating
0       More ideas and contributions posted onto the blog, as in lessons there were so many ideas, but some were forgotten as they werent written down, so by posting them on the blog, we could always refer back to it.
0       Missing out on good research sites There were so many sites and videos posted on the blog that some people missed out on as they werent using it.
0       The production team said, they found using the blog very useful as they were kept up to date on our devising process.
0       They also posted all the information from the Production meetings on the Blog, so we were able to see where they were at in their process, along with Set and design who posted images of the developments on the set for the show.


The Blog and Ria

0       Personally, I really enjoyed using and updating the blog.
0       It was easy to update and upload images and videos. So we could then go back and see what we have done.
0       Updating the blog was a lot easier and quicker than writing logs at the end of every session, and it all stays in one place.
0       The research sites, and videos etc that were posted on the blog, were really useful and I used them to contribute to my research.
0       There was a lot of tutor/student communication.

Bibliography:
0        Double take, collective memory and currant artThe southbank centre/ parkett/ 1992
0         Viewpoints and composition reading  from the Viewpoints book. Page 7 -13
0        Forced entertainment – the travels 2002, the anti theatrical director, the company
0        The performers guide to the collaborative process – Sheila Kerrigan
0        Organising your material, getting stuck in and cutting.
0        Posterior Para hippocampal place learning in H.m – Suzanne Corkin
0        Email: corkin@mit.edu
0        Double take, Collective memory

1 comment: