Wednesday 6 April 2011

From Suzanne Corkin... About Brenda and Suzanne swap over.

Hey guys!
Here's abit of info that Suzanne Corkin emailed
To be about how the change over between her and Brenda milners, and when she took over the research on Henry.... Enjoy... Ria! :)

​The year after I arrived at Brenda Milner's lab, she arranged for Henry to visit us at the Montreal Neurological Institute for a week of testing.  This was his only visit to Montreal, and it was a momentous occasion.  In May 1962, he and his mother came by train, which is how they often traveled long distances, and they stayed in a nearby rooming house.  Although he was one of many research participants who occupied my time at the Neuro, I always considered him special because his amnesia was so severe.
​After that one visit to Montreal, all of the testing with Henry took place at MIT, either at the MIT Clinical Research Center, which became a home away from home for him, or in adjacent labs.  The many researchers who passed through our lab and the Clinical Research Center staff were his extended family.  Milner, my advisor from McGill University, Hans-Lukas Teuber, my boss at MIT and Milner’s longtime colleague and friend, and I together initiated Henry’s visits in 1966, 1968, and 1970.  After that I took over the helm.  Although I had been running our lab since arriving at MIT in 1964, I became its official leader in January 1977 when Teuber died.  
​From 1977 until 2000, Henry was a regular visitor to the MIT Clinical Research Center, logging in fifty-five admissions.  He was the subject of much experimental scrutiny for over five decades.  More than one hundred researchers participated in studies of Henry in my lab at MIT from 1966 to 2000.  We all understand what a rare opportunity it was to work with him, and we are profoundly grateful for his dedication to research.  He taught us a great deal about the cognitive and neural organization of memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment